Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default House insurance and burglar alarms

On Feb 15, 8:21*pm, Mathew Newton
wrote:
On Friday, February 15, 2013 7:01:05 PM UTC, wrote:
About 10 times more likely to be burgled without an alarm according to some
stats.

What, those provided by security companies? ;-)

I thought this made interesting reading:

http://www.straightstatistics.org/ar...alarming-claim

'The good news is that while homes with no basic home security had a 5.8 per cent chance of being burgled in 2009-10, those with enhanced security had a 0.6 per cent chance – an odds ratio of one to ten.

However, the bad news is that homes with basic home security – defined as window locks and double deadlocks - had a 0.9 per cent chance of having been burgled. This suggests that most of the benefit comes from basic security. By fitting and maintaining an alarm, at enormous expense, a householder will typically avoid one burglary roughly every 300 years.'

I wonder how many of these windows are actually locked in Summer?