Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default House insurance and burglar alarms

"ARW" wrote in message
larkim wrote:
On Friday, 15 February 2013 15:13:26 UTC, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 15:08:11 +0000, Toby Sleigh wrote:

Hope someone can help.....

We have a Friedland SA5 6 zone wireless alarm system that I
installed

approx five years ago, and have maintained since. This unit is
very

similar to Yale wireless alarms so one or othe is probably a
rebadged

version. Anyway we've recently changed house building & contents

insurer. Our new insurer is insisting that there is a maintenance

contract in place. I've been phoning round & consistently failing

find a company who will take on a diy installed system.

Are there security companies out there who will maintain diy
installed

alarms? or will I have to give up & get an equivalent approved
system

installed at vast unnecessary expense. Location is Ealing, West
London.

IME any discount gained by having a burglar alarm is minimal. Best
say

you haven't got one. Especially since if you have got one, but had a

break in when it was off (e.g. you were at home) they may not pay
up.

I've often wondered whether there was any correlation between having
/ not having an alarm and being burgled.

About 10 times more likely to be burgled without an alarm according to
some stats.

9/10 alarms that I fit (other than new builds) are fitted the week after
the house was burgled.

But its less clear if that does affect the future burglary rate.

The stats must be available.