Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Russell Richard Russell is offline

Default House insurance and burglar alarms

On Feb 15, 3:13*pm, Jethro_uk wrote:
Especially since if you have got one, but had a
break in when it was off (e.g. you were at home) they may not pay up.

We changed our house insurer in part because the old policy implied,
as you say, that if the alarm was not working *for any reason*
(whether forgetting to set it, or a hardware failure for example) they
might not pay up. That struck us as utterly ridiculous. Our new
insurer gives a discount for having an alarm (so long as it is
professionally maintained) but quite specifically states that if for
any reason it isn't working the most we would be liable for is a small
excess.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/