Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default OT - of interest to senior members

On 15/02/2013 11:24, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 08:51:12 +0000, polygonum wrote:

I take one medicine only and the NHS "cost" of that medicine is
marginally over £12 a year (one lot month). And this seems to correlate
with costs in other countries such as Spain, I am told, where it is an
over-the-counter medicine.

However, I and everyone else on this medicine qualify for a Medical
Exemption Certificate (Medex), so actually pay nothing. (And have the
benefit of not then paying for any other prescriptions.)

If I had to pay the full prescription charge of £7.65 twelve times a
year, I would be being ripped off by the system. (That is, being charged
almost £80 more than the NHS is charged for the medicine.)

Of course, that depends on how much your GP prescribes at once. My GP is
in the habit of prescribing 3 months' worth in one go.

I did actually buy a PPC, but 4 months later my GP informed me that under
new regulations I qualified for free prescriptions for the next 5 years
(and even sent me a pre-filled in forma for me to sign). I managed to get
a pro-rate refund on the PPC!

Our PCT is wont to rap GPs over the knuckles for doing three month
prescriptions. But they have reluctantly had to semi-back down in the
light of the MHRA recommendation.

If that is a possibility (getting a Medex), then always get a special
receipt from the pharmacy for everything between when you first think it
and when you actually get it - or realise you won't. These special
receipts can then be refunded by the Medex people. An ordinary till
receipt will NOT do!

--
Rod