Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - of interest to senior members

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
I suspect that means testing bus passes would probably cost more than it
saves. They are a bit of a novelty when you first get them, after which
the disadvantages of using public transport outweigh the benefits of
using it for free, so it is probable that only those who really need
them actually use them to any extent. I wouldn't miss the winter fuel
allowance, but again, I'm not sure that a lot of the claimed savings
from means testing it would not just go into administering the scheme.

Living in London, I find my Freedom pass very useful and it gets used
several times a week. For journeys where it's more convenient for me to
use PT than either of my cars. ;-) So to me it's really just a perk.
However, lots get 'perks' of one sort or another from the state. In my
case the Freedom pass costs the state very little in real terms as I only
use it outside rush hour when there is spare capacity on PT. I'd be happy
if they changed it back to only allowing it to be used outside rush hour.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.