Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default OT - of interest to senior members

On 15/02/2013 09:48, Jethro_uk wrote:

I still don't understand why they can't have a system whereby medicines
specifically needed for lifelong conditions are exempt, but occasional
medicines are still charged for. I have glaucoma - 4 types of eye drops
for life. My wife has MS. 3 tablets plus daily plus a weekly injection
for life. All of those should be exempt. Then, if we need an odd course
of antibiotics (for example) we still pay.

They already exempt some conditions, so it wouldn't be a great stretch.

Personally I think prescription charges are a good idea - they highlight
that nothing is "free", and hopefully discourage some waste.

I would be curious if there's been any research (as opposed to Daily Mail
headlines) as to whether people who don't pay charges are any more
wasteful than those who do.

In my case, the condition being treated is very often associated with
numerous other health issues - eyes, heart, skin, breathing, digestion,
joints, mental, dental, hearing, hair, and on and on. So people who have
it frequently end up on multiple medicines but all from one source. (I
am lucky, seem to do fine on basic treatment.)

What I certainly agree with is the idea that those on lifelong
conditions should not have to pay for them. It is trying to formulate a
sensible policy that includes that but does not work against other
things that is difficult.

One of the things that I was thinking earlier was that we have a sort of
compact with the government. They take to themselves the power to
restrict access to many substances, on the basis that if it is agreed we
need them, we can get hold of them. Setting up a system in which people
cannot afford them due to inflated prices (whether as NHS prescriptions
or private prescriptions) questions the very basis of that compact.

The biggest waste we have seen on medicines is first prescription of
something which may, or may not agree. I was given Omeprazole - can't
remember pack quantity - probably 28. Current NHS cost £1.62 or £1.81 so
hardly expensive. Only accepted from GP because he insisted it should
help (I flatly disagreed but said I would try to keep in with him). One
tablet made me vomit - a recognised side-effect. So after one tablet,
the rest are waste.

Partner has had numerous things offered e.g. a pain medicine that costs
around £40 to £60 for the package (about one month supply). She too
found it intolerable.

There is also now a fairly substantial semi-official industry supplying
vitamin D to the NHS. You can easily buy a one year supply of 5000 IU D3
capsules for about £10 on the internet (e.g. iherb.com). But NHS manage
to source this:

Fultium-D3® (Internis) Prescription only medicine

Capsules, colecalciferol 20 micrograms (800 units), net price 30-cap
pack= £3.60.

Not only very much more expensive, but with the surprise bonus of
potentially triggering peanut allergy.

--
Rod