Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default OT - of interest to senior members

On 15/02/2013 08:51, polygonum wrote:
On 15/02/2013 08:14, RJH wrote:

Govt claims 88% don't pay - I would question that. And anecdotally
at least people don't use prescription medicine because of the cost.

The saga of prescription charges goes on!

If you are even slightly financially OK but medically not OK, and
subject to NHS prescription charges, it is likely worth capping your
outgoings by getting a Prescription Prepayment Certificate (PPC) at £104
a year. (Do government "don't pay" figures include PPC purchasers? After
all, they do not pay prescription by prescription.)

It is whether you pay at all, not whether you pay prescription by
prescription.

I take one medicine only and the NHS "cost" of that medicine is
marginally over £12 a year (one lot month). And this seems to correlate
with costs in other countries such as Spain, I am told, where it is an
over-the-counter medicine.

However, I and everyone else on this medicine qualify for a Medical
Exemption Certificate (Medex), so actually pay nothing. (And have the
benefit of not then paying for any other prescriptions.)

If I had to pay the full prescription charge of £7.65 twelve times a
year, I would be being ripped off by the system. (That is, being charged
almost £80 more than the NHS is charged for the medicine.)...

Having to get a prescription every month is a NICE recommendation, to
reduce the cost to the NHS from medicine supplied to people who die
before using it all. Some GPs will still give a three month prescription.

Colin Bignell