Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default OT - of interest to senior members

On 15/02/2013 08:14, RJH wrote:
On 14/02/2013 22:28, Nightjar wrote:

Prescriptions might as well be free for everybody; only 10% of people
actually pay for them and I rather doubt that covers the administrative
costs of collecting the fees and checking that people claiming exemption
are actually entitled to it.

Govt claims 88% don't pay - I would question that.

A 2008 survey gave the average at the 90% I quoted. However, for some
groups, such as mental health patients, it is as low as 81%.

And anecdotally at
least people don't use prescription medicine because of the cost.

I would have thought that the majority of people for whom that would be
a problem should qualify for free prescriptions.

Eye tests should not only be free but for anybody over 60 holding a
driving licence compulsory. Many people who have never needed glasses
before can go for years without realising that their eyesight is
deteriorating as they age.

It's tricky - overall I don't think means testing is a good idea, for
reasons ranging from admin cost to stigma. I'd like to think people who
don't need or use a benefit hand it back, but then I like to think a lot
of things ;-)

I don't think there is any mechanism for me to hand back the winter fuel
allowance. It is easier to give the same amount to charity.

Colin Bignell