Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default OT - of interest to senior members

On 14/02/2013 22:28, Nightjar wrote:
On 14/02/2013 20:39, Roger Mills wrote:
On 14/02/2013 13:13, Nightjar wrote:
On 14/02/2013 11:40, David WE Roberts wrote:
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/31778

Petition against the removal of additional tax allowances for
pensioners.

Vote early, vote often :-)

If you are canvassing for votes against the removal of additional tax
allowances, it might be a good idea to explain why you think that the
increase in personal allowances for those over 65 does not adequately
compensate for them.

Colin Bignell

I agree. I suppose some would argue that this doesn't maintain the
differential between pensioners and non-pensioners. But I'm not sure
exactly what the case for a differential is.

Personally, I'd rather have it as an increased personal allowance for
everyone. That way, it doesn't get clawed back when my total pension
income exceeds a certain threshold.

I would also support means testing things like bus passes and winter
fuel allowance. Not so sure about prescriptions and eye test. Older
people tend to have a greater need for these. Free dental treatment
would be good, too.

I suspect that means testing bus passes would probably cost more than it
saves. They are a bit of a novelty when you first get them, after which
the disadvantages of using public transport outweigh the benefits of
using it for free, so it is probable that only those who really need
them actually use them to any extent. I wouldn't miss the winter fuel
allowance, but again, I'm not sure that a lot of the claimed savings
from means testing it would not just go into administering the scheme.

Prescriptions might as well be free for everybody; only 10% of people
actually pay for them and I rather doubt that covers the administrative
costs of collecting the fees and checking that people claiming exemption
are actually entitled to it.

Govt claims 88% don't pay - I would question that. And anecdotally at
least people don't use prescription medicine because of the cost.

Eye tests should not only be free but for anybody over 60 holding a
driving licence compulsory. Many people who have never needed glasses
before can go for years without realising that their eyesight is
deteriorating as they age.

It's tricky - overall I don't think means testing is a good idea, for
reasons ranging from admin cost to stigma. I'd like to think people who
don't need or use a benefit hand it back, but then I like to think a lot
of things ;-)

Rob