Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Two Projects

Sonny wrote:
After an almost 2 year delay, I'm tackling the entertainment center
project, again, with the help of my nephew. We have the main
carcass/sections linseed oiled and next week will be spraying them
with lacquer. This is the most ambitious project I've ever attempted
and I'm not sure if my previous planning has covered all my bases.

Recent thread/posts note I should plan for particular drawer slides,
first, prior to making any drawers. I have a cache of Knape & Vogt
14" and 12", Series 8400, drawer slides -
http://www.cabinetparts.com/g/8400-s...ies-knape-vogt . I may
need help with this installation, though I've installed these on my
router bit cabinet and am pleased with the results.

Do the same as you did, NP. Just assure that the case parts are level and
where you want them.
__________

Also, I may need help with the door design/installation, relative to
proper hinges to be used. I suppose I need to select the proper
hinges, to accommodate the door design. I'll likely use a door frame
overlapping the carcass face frame design and I'm not sure what
hinges may be best. I don't do this often enough to know what may be
best.

I've always liked these hinges...
http://woodworker.com/sc-hinge-38-in...su-234-001.asp

With these, the door overlays the frame by 1/2". You'd probably want that
same 1/2" on the other three sides too which means the doors need to be 1"
wider and higher than the opening.

They are strong, easy to install and adjust (but not much adjustment
available), come in a variety of finishes and are inexpensive to boot. I
particularly like that they wrap around the frame, stronger than screwing to
the face of the frame. There are many other styles at the same vendor. You
used to be able to get them at HD/Lowes but what they have now are
imports...not bad but not as good as the Amerock.

Second project: I've always wanted to make a shaving horse, hand
made with only hand tools, direct from the log (green walnut). It's
done... finished it yesterday!

Congrats, good job! But walnut?!!!

--

dadiOH