D. A. Clark

Default What is Living Trade?

(Ray Kinzler) wrote in message
I think this thread has gone on long enough. Geesh. From what I
gather is being said is that no one man has EVER known ALL there is to
know about woodworking ever--especially since, I guess, none of us
know what the future holds. So with this sort if nit-picking, sort of
silly argument...

I guess, if you are willing to live life with your head stuck in the
sand, I can only assume that that butt sticking up is your real face.
Man is not the only woodworker; a beaver builds a dam, and a bird
builds a nest, but what does the woodchuck chuck? Chuck???
Certainly, the dumb animals of the world utilize the basic material
for their very survival, but would you ascribe man to an equal state
of ignorant grace? The monkey has an opposable thumb; it is in
seeking the resources of knowledge and understanding that sets man
apart.
There is a spot reserved for you in the corner of the inane. See
Conan, he has your pointy hat...

because I do believe there was a man who lived on this earth who DID
know everything that was and ever will be known about woodworking and
he was a carpenter who lived 2,000 years ago
If enybody knew everything there is to know about wood (and
woodworking and everything else), it was Him.

By invoking God in defence of your irrelevancies, you have accidently
struck upon a central theme in the assertation of what is living
trade. Those of us who believe in God would not deny His hand in all
that we think, say or do.
On your part, the assumption that Jesus, as the carpenter's son,
qualified himself as a woodworker is a fallacy. Otherwise, when
inquired of by the merchant...Ben Hur, 1956...Jesus would have been
there to finish the guy's table, but instead, was in the hills
contemplating his Father's business.

Hence, I maintain, that no two men may have the same knowledge or
understanding of working wood. It is an infinite phenomenon, and
thus, a living trade.