Conan the Librarian

Default What is Living Trade?

"Rob Stokes" wrote in message
news:exVqc.630$gx1.531@clgrps12...

Chuck:

I think it's more a conversation than a debate and the root of the
conversation is a interpretation of history and an attempt at using it to
forecast the future as it pertains to skills being lost. I don't believe
I've agreed or disagreed with DA (individual points aside) and I

don't feel
this is a win/lose conversation, nor do I perceive his quest to strike a
conversation as arrogance.

Then again, I enjoy a good single malt and have been known to ramble

about
the sublime on occasion so maybe it's all perception g!

Rob,

I respect your opinion and don't begrudge you choosing to
participate in the discussion. My sole issue in all of this is our
friend. He makes a grand entrance to the wreck once every few years and
seems to expect that everyone should stop what they're talking about and
concentrate solely on his personal great white whale.

While sitting on his imagined lofty perch, he displays an attitude
of condescension and disregard towards the very people with whom he
ostensibly hopes to carry on a discussion. I love a good philosophical
discussion, but I choose to participate on my own terms. Unfortunately,
due to the way he frames the debate, it can only be done on *his* terms.

The only thing he has contributed to the wreck is this single
mantra. He doesn't bother to participate as an equal; instead he
chooses to virtually snipe the group. He takes a few potshots, checks
for casualties and then moves on until the next time he gets bored with
his Mensa meetings.

In that regard, he is no better than a troll. And I don't care for
trolls, no matter how well-versed they are with Roget's.

Anyhow, have fun with it. I know I'll continue to do the same. :-)

Chuck Vance