Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default The Rising Cost of Termite Vomit.

On 2/11/13 12:31 PM, wrote:
On Feb 10, 7:04 pm, -MIKE- wrote:

It's also higher quality material than the pine...

In most cases, you are correct. Easier to work with and much more stable.
It's hard to find a 10' piece of pine trim that hasn't taken more turns
than a UPS truck.

If it doesn't have to be stain grade pine, we can get all that hard,
white primed, finger jointed wood stuff they sell at HD easily and
pretty cheap. It is from Chile and is a conglomeration of pieces of
wood from different species of trees. That is currently much more
popular around here than the MDF products.

Personally, for paint grade I like the MDF stuff. I remember putting
it up in a house about 15 - 18 years ago and I complained like hell.
Then I used it, and then painted it out. Loved it. I put in 8" tall
base with a 2" strip of pine in front of it to serve as shoe mold.
First long pieces I put in I liked it a lot. Then seeing how it
responded to my nailers I liked it even more. Somewhere along the
line they solved most of the MDF nail head pucker that I would
normally have to sand out. Works for me!

Robert

I've always loved it, too. I just don't like how expensive it's getting.

That finger jointed stuff is supposed to be stable but it's not. I know
they are *supposed* to alternate grain when gluing up, but they
obviously don't. Either that or it really wet when they make it.
Whatever the reason, once that stuff is un-banded and sits in the bins
for a week, it twists up like hot-wheels track.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--