Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default COst of steel at metal suppliers

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 12:57:26 -0800 (PST), Transition Zone
wrote:

On Feb 9, 4:59*pm, "azotic" wrote:

On 2013-02-09, azotic wrote:
"Ignoramus19809" wrote in message
om...
If I was to buy steel at a metal supplier, in the quantity of a ton or
so, how much would it cost per lb? I mean metal such as hot rolled
rounds 1-3 inches thick, 4140, rectangular solid stock etc.

I want to price my 15 tons of steel below market, and I want to know
what "market" really is.

thanks

New steel averages $1.10 per pound hear in las vegas. No discount for
how many tons you buy. My supplier has a scrap bin you pick that they
sell for .50 per pound. They will deliver for free if your order is over
$300, they also offer one free cut if your buying full length mill stock
typicaly 20-24Ft per piece.

Your gonna have to buy at scrap yard or below prices to make a
profit.

IU bought it for3 cents per lb

At that price you should be able to make some money.

The way you can make serious money at steel buying is to gamble at
buying futures. Get a loan and tell your supplier that you will pay
$2000 dollars today for as much steel as you can get for that price to
be delivered next month and hope he adds a few more pounds because you
are buying in bulk. If the price has gone up in that next month, you
will have already paid $2000 today so you will then be getting more
for the old price.

For $2,000 why bother. Just order $2,000 worth of steel and have it
dropped off over in the corner of the lot. You now own $2,000 worth of
steel at today's price.

--
Cheers,

John B.