Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default TOT - if the lied about the beef being horse meat.......

snip

No doubt this story will run forever......

If I bought 4 burgers for a quid, I'd be amazed to discover
they had as much as 29% of any identifiable meat in them.
That's why I've never bought 4 burgers for a quid.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Which is why the burgers that we use at our burger take-out cost a lot,
trade. They come 100% from a fully traceable local herd of Aberdeen Angus
cattle, and are prepared to order by the independent butcher who is part
owner of the herd. But such traceability and guaranteed quality *is*
expensive, and actually quite rare - or so we found when originally looking
for a supplier. I suppose that this is what drives suppliers to Tesco and
the like to source the cheapest components that they can, that will
fulfill - initially at least - the requirements of these big boys at the
wholesale prices dictated. It will no doubt be a price thing that drives the
suppliers to look abroad for their meat. Given that many countries eat
horsemeat anyway, I doubt that a lot of the EU can fathom what all the
current fuss is about. They probably think that it's just "Those crazeee
Eeengleesh again ... "

I also think that we have to be a little less paranoid about our food. I
seem to recall from visiting France many many years ago, that they have
dedicated horse butchers - bouchieres chevalin or some such ?? I don't
suppose for one minute that there is anything wrong with the meat that they
sell, and without us actually *knowing* otherwise, there may not be with the
horse that has found its way into the current furore. Yes, I agree that it's
naughty substituting ingredients that are clearly defined on the product
wrapper, and of course, if it *is* meat that is not fit for human
consumption, then the people doing it need hanging up by their fingernails,
but it seems to me that most of the objections seem to be centering on the
fact of it *being* horse, rather than if anything is wrong with it.

As to what parts of the animal are being used, anyone who thinks that four
for a quid Tesco Value burgers, are made from best rump, must be deluded
anyway. At the end of the day, what's the difference between minced cow
arsehole, and minced horse dick ?

For my part, I have absolutely no problem at all eating horse per se, as
long as it is of food-safe grade. If it was available, I would eat dolphin
.... :-)

Arfa