Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fabricating with cold rolled

On Feb 8, 11:24*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I am going to take some 1/2" and 3/4" cold rolled rod, and basically make it
up into a catcher's mask configuration, just bigger. *Squares about 2-3"
square. *I am going to weld it together , then hard face it.

This will certainly change the properties all around. *It is going to be
used in 40-50 degree F water, and be subject to right around 1,000# of
striking force, and 4,000 pulses per second. *It could be subject to below
freezing temperatures, too, but not used at that time.

Steve

I do not understand why you are using cold rolled. Cold rolled has
close tolerances on the size, but you will lose that when you hard
face it. Being cheap I would use weldable rebar.

Dan