Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Fabricating with cold rolled

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 21:24:13 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

I am going to take some 1/2" and 3/4" cold rolled rod, and basically make it
up into a catcher's mask configuration, just bigger. Squares about 2-3"
square. I am going to weld it together , then hard face it.

cold rolled does heat treat, forget all that.

For welding, my goto rod is 7011 stick. Deep penetration. I often
switch to 7018 after the first pass to build it up for multiple pass
welding. From what you've said, weld failures will be your main issue.

hardfacing is great for the cutting edge, not for structural strength.

karl