Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sofa Slug[_2_] Sofa Slug[_2_] is offline

Default dialup issues

On 2/8/2013 9:22 AM, klem kedidelhopper wrote:
snipped
I plan to go to the interface to look at this but we now have a big
storm coming so for now the 26K will suffice. If plugging directly
into the interface yields a good (45K) connection on the slow line
then I realize that the problem is then in the premises and I'll have
to troubleshoot that.

My question is if the problem is in the premises wiring what could
be the most likely cause of something like this? As I previously
mentioned I can't "hear" any problem but of course that doesn't mean
that one doesn't exist. Before I start dismantling my inside wiring
it would be nice if I had a clue as to what I was looking for. The
phone company by the way has been no help with this.

If anyone has any ideas that they would share I would be extremely
grateful. Lenny

FWIW, I had a problem with low DSL speed similar to yours. It turned out
to be a tarnished/corroded RJ-11 wall plate jack. Once the wall plate
was replaced, the problems disappeared.