Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default A woodworking tip

On 2/8/2013 8:56 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/7/2013 5:26 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 2/7/2013 5:55 PM, Meanie wrote:
wrote in message

On Feb 7, 2:50 pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
As you know marking wood with a pencil has it's drawbacks particularly
when using a heavily grained wood like oak or a dark wood like walnut.
The pencil mark is difficult to see at best.

This is why I still use Crayolas.

Robert

It's good when you can stay inside the lines.

Does the wax from the crayolas effect the subsequent finishing of the
wood?

If so how do you remove it?

I think Nailshooter is referring to construction grade materials.

That's construction grade oak and walnut???

I've not seen either in construction since the (story I've told before)
discovery after an old schoolhouse was razed in Lynchburg, VA, back in
late '60s...went down to the site just to get a slate blackboard section
for the kids in the base but wandering around notice the large pile of
beams surely looked unusual, even given were over 100 yr old was
something other than just age. A little paring w/ the pocket knife
uncovered that they were, indeed black walnut (almost exclusively w/ a
few oaks of both red and white thrown in here or there as I discovered
while preparing some of it). Since was being sold as salvaged
construction material, I made an offer of $1000 for the entire pile and
was accepted (a lot of money in those days). In the end ended up w/
almost 15,000 bf of 8- to 12/4 roughsawn beams in lengths from 10 to 18
ft and widths from 6" to 10" w/ a set of 12 12/4 x 12" x 20' from the
large assembly room.

As for the question from previous respondent I would presume it's mostly
during the rough layout phase and the marks are removed by subsequent
milling operations for the question finishing problems. If there's
some left when time for finishing comes along a little thinner will take
care of it easily.

I use carpenters' crayons precisely the same way--keep at least a
red/yellow/black around all the time so have contrasting colors for the
particular surface...

Sharpies are good, too, for bandsaw layout lines--they make a nice,
crisp line that's easy to follow...