Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cheap and dirty traverse for winding wire on a spool

Tom Gardner wrote:

On 2/7/2013 5:59 AM, Stanley Schaefer wrote:
On Feb 6, 7:18 pm, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
I get flat wire on 20" x 6", 12" core wooden spools. Sometimes they are
wound poorly or I need lighter spools for a repair machine. I remember
reading a post years ago about a traverse for winding. I remember it
had a DC motor with a pot to adjust speed but that's about all. I don't
need a PLC to adjust for height on the core or perfect alignment of the
wrap. I found that a basket weave works great for tangle problems and
eliminates having to precision wind. Any ideas will be highly appreciated!

Have a small pamphlet somewhere about how to build a coil winder for
making radio coils. Was a derivative of one that used to be sold by
all the big electronics suppliers prior to the '70s. Anyway, it used
a crank off the coil form shaft to drive a bell crank that drove an
arm that moved the wire back and forth, could be adjusted for any size
wire and could do the honeycomb style windings like you describe.
Just needs to be made bigger. Think I got it from Lindsay back a
number years, don't know if it's still in print. Only winder I've
seen that combined a tensioner, a form drive and a wire traverse all
off one crank handle. Was done with common hardware store parts, a
guy with a bunch of stuff in the racks could probably make one up
easily.

Hah! Amazon has it:
http://www.amazon.com/Build-Universa.../dp/187808710X

Stan

Just enlarging the picture on the book cover is a big help, thanks!

That book was from Lindsay Publishing, who recently closed their
doors when the owner retired.