Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cheap and dirty traverse for winding wire on a spool

On 2/7/2013 7:17 AM, Pete Keillor wrote:
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 21:18:56 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

I get flat wire on 20" x 6", 12" core wooden spools. Sometimes they are
wound poorly or I need lighter spools for a repair machine. I remember
reading a post years ago about a traverse for winding. I remember it
had a DC motor with a pot to adjust speed but that's about all. I don't
need a PLC to adjust for height on the core or perfect alignment of the
wrap. I found that a basket weave works great for tangle problems and
eliminates having to precision wind. Any ideas will be highly appreciated!

You could use a linear clutch on a shaft, limit switches to reverse
direction. Here's the kind I used on a project once.
http://www.wmberg.com/catalog/catpag...df/B05E020.pdf

Don't know about cheap or dirty, but it worked.

Pete Keillor

I don't instantly understand how it works, I will have to look into it.
Interesting!