Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ian Malcolm[_2_] Ian Malcolm[_2_] is offline

Default Cheap and dirty traverse for winding wire on a spool

Dennis wrote in
:

On 07/02/2013 10:18, Tom Gardner wrote:
I get flat wire on 20" x 6", 12" core wooden spools. Sometimes they
are wound poorly or I need lighter spools for a repair machine. I
remember reading a post years ago about a traverse for winding. I
remember it had a DC motor with a pot to adjust speed but that's
about all. I don't need a PLC to adjust for height on the core or
perfect alignment of the wrap. I found that a basket weave works
great for tangle problems and eliminates having to precision wind.
Any ideas will be highly appreciated!

Can you get hold of a scrapped out electric golf bag buggy.

12V + geared down motor & speed control included.

Just need to fit a crank & you would have what you need.Run it off any
old 12V supply, battery charger etc.

Car windscreen wiper mechanism?

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL