Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Continuing Work on Deck

On 2/5/2013 3:07 PM, Casper wrote:
Swingman was heard to mutter:
It is "normal" in the sense that lumber moves as it dries.

The question on if it is a problem revolves around an investigation into
whether the movement of the posts has interfered with:

1. The post's job of providing the necessary "support" required.
2. The visible aspect of the design.

I forgot to say that two posts (of 10?) are twisting. Once much more
than the other. Think spiral on a candy cane. Is that normal? Is that
acceptable? I ask because this is built on a concrete patio going up
two stories with the intent to put a hot tub on it. My friend was
assured it could hold all that weight, but the twists and gaps would
have me nervous with that kind of a load.

Maybe it's just me. ;/

Impossible to tell/advise without boots on the ground, but simply
because the posts are twisted does not mean they are not doing the job
of support they were put in to do ... which, in a nutshell, is to
transfer the load above directly to the ground.

Still, with the proposed weight of the hot tub being involved, plus a
structure two stories high, your friend may want to pay an Engineer to
take a look. Generally an Engineer's visit like that is in the
neighborhood of 200 - $300 here in Texas, but it does not cost a penny
to make the call and ask the price ... cheap insurance and peace of mind
if nothing else.

Besides, on a structure that tall, it most likely is not big deal to
change, or sister those posts.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net