Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cross-Slide Cross-Slide is offline

Default what about making remote valve for lowering

On Monday, February 4, 2013 7:03:47 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 18:02:49 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

wrote:

"Cross-Slide" wrote in message

On Sunday, February 3, 2013 6:16:13 PM UTC-6, Bob La Londe wrote:

"overkill"

wrote in

message

oups.com...

to lower bottle jack when completely covered. Is there a way to

connect to

lowering valve port

How about a simpler solution. Maybe just a long handle? Perhaps

with a T

handle to make operating the valve at a distance easier?

You said "completely" covered though so I'm not sure. The thing is

it's a

simple valve built into the body of the jack, so setting up a

remote valve

is not going to be super easy.

Super easy. Drill and tap for the fittings, and run hoses to and

from the remote valve.

Now is that safe??????????????????????

A separate hand pump and cylinder may turn out to be easier:

http://www.amazon.com/Porta-Power-Hy.../dp/B0025C4ZN4

jsw

I have taken apart and modified a couple jacks to work upside down.

Doing that I have seen how the valving works. It would be much easier

to do what Jim suggests. The little valve you turn on the jack is in a

chamber with a hole at the bottom, a hole near the bottom, and a hole

with a seal at the top that the valve stem goes through. Turning the

valve stem either puts pressure on, or relieves the pressure on, a

ball bearing located at the bottom of the chamber. This ball seals the

hole at the bottom. When the ball comes away from the bottom oil flows

through the hole at the bottom and through the hole near the bottom

and into the oil reservoir. There really is not much room to add more

plumbing for yet another valve.

Eric

Not much room right around the valve...
You need to tap into the lift chamber and the reservoir.
Those two areas have more than one spot to get at.
The remote pump is likely a more elegant solution.