Larry Jaques

Default What is Living Trade?

On Tue, 18 May 2004 08:23:32 -0500, Conan the Librarian
brought forth from the murky depths:

I can understand you not being too gung-ho about that sort of thing.
I know if the only wood I ever saw was the Borg "pine" stuff, I'd
probably give up woodworking.

Anyway, some day
soon I'll make that sheet-goods cart out of the 2x8 DF. It's raining
to day so I'll be spreading the last of the Weed'n'Feed tomorrow,
opening another 1-sq/ft of space in the shop. It's garage sale time.
Why do so many little projects always seem to get in the way of real
wooddorking stuff?

I dunno, Lar. I don't seem to have that problem. :-)

Yeah, you finish a project or two a year, don't you?

No stain there, just shellac. What looks like blotching is actually
some curl. Here's a photo of a different project that shows some of the
neat grain the stuff has: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/repisa.gif

Yes, better.

The panel in that picture was about as heavy as a maple panel of
similar size, and the wood *scraped* beautifully. Not your granddad's
pine for sure. (Well, actually it might be more like what he could have
gotten.)

Yeah, the larger pineywood forests they had 70+ years ago prolly
were nicer than the borg-a-matic pretzels they turn out now.

Tendjew. You were starting to worry me. I was wondering if you
normally burned the stuff when you lived in lowCal.

No, those who used fireplaces ordered oak (sigh), avocado (sigh),
or yewcallapeetusez. I saw manzanita growing (small) out in the
wilds of the deserts we knew as the "California foothills". Y'know,
4-6 INCHES in diameter and 8' tall. Veritable dinosaur teeth. The
only mesquite I saw was in bags: soak 'n smoke BBQ chips. =:0

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----