Brownie

Default Burglar Alarm

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 10:53:00 +0100, "Sanj" wrote:

I am planning to install myself but have not ruled the professional

option
dependant on price. I live in the west midlands region and have a big 3

bed
semi, I would like to cover all 3 bedrooms, upstairs and downstairs
landing/hallway, and 3 rooms downstairs. An auto dialler would be

desirable
but not essential.

I'm curious - why bother covering the bedrooms? I wouldn't have
thought it was the most likely point of entry, unless you've got some
sort of accessibility which a burglar would use (low roof, substantial
drain pipe, overhanging tree, etc).

It isn't necessary to alarm all the bedrooms unless they are vulnerable or
you have a particular risk to protect. Some burglars have burgled each
bedroom individually to avoid typically one sensor on a landing but it is
usually a targeted premises with known valuables. In Sanj's example it
sounds like overkill and a lot of hassle hiding all those wires under
floorboards etc. Most three bed semi's would only have around 4 sensors -
as I said, the fact that you are alarmed significantly reduces the risk with
most (not all) burglars but doesn't prove such a deterrant to overnight
burglars as lots of people don't set 'em.