Posted to rec.woodworking

Default JessEm Mortise mill

Swingman wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

I'll say this... as people have speculated that Karl may be using
cutoffs for his tennons, it has elevated the stack of kindling
sitting over in the corner to a new level. I might just run some of
that stuff through the saw, then the router, and stuff the finished
product into a coffee can for future use.

LMAO ... A coffee can, and coffee box, are just the thing:

I was just thinking about this very thing recently. I was contemplating
using mortise and tenon joinery on a very small project - mostly because I
wanted to, not because I needed to. I nixed the idea based on one single
thought - I just did not want to dick around with cutting tenons in the
midst of the project. Lame excuse, I know - but that's the way it was. I
just didn't want to take the time to set up both the saw and the router to
monkey around, all for the sake of 2 tenons. I could have cut conventional
tenons on one of the pieces, and I almost did, but decided not to. Point
being - having a stock of tenons on hand would have made that an entirely
different decision. Since most of what I do is with standard 1x stock, a
stock of 1/4" tenon lengths would be handy to have at hand (so to speak).
Yank one out, cut it to length, and stick it in the hole with a little snot
on it, and the joint would have been done as fast as screwing it.

--

-Mike-