Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default JessEm Mortise mill

-MIKE- wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

And, indeed, on this last four barstool project, my detailed record of
shop hours (which I strive to keep accurately to facilitate bidding on
future jobs), indicates that I spent 30 minutes cutting the 80 loose
tenons for four complete chairs.

That's 30 minutes for ALL the project tenons ... Now tell me how long
would it take you to cut 80 tenons in the ends of 40 chair components?

Cutting custom loose tenons a "burning distraction", not quite ...

... but what it is, is the difference between actual experience with
an operation, and just talking about it.

I think you miss my point... which in a commercial environment becomes
even more critical. That being that time is money. I'd think that on

The wood was probably leftover cut-offs from ripping rough lumber to size.
The time... all 30 minutes of it :-)... was probably "leftover" time
from waiting for something to cure/dry or that magic period between work
and a meal in which there's not enough time to start another
step/procedure. We've certainly all had 30 minutes in "wife-time" that
were spent looking for something to do while she takes "5 minutes"
to put her face on before going out to dinner. :-)

You're right about project cutoffs being used when possible.

What is being discounted in this little 'Tete a Tete' is the fact that
correctly sizing mortise and tenon joints is dependent upon very specific
parameters, both regarding material dimensions, and the job of the
particular joint.

These traditional parameters are based on practices that have "stood the
test of time", and are ignored at your own peril.

While the original Domino is quite adequate for most tasks, the above is
the main reason why I did not rush to replace my Multi-Router with the
original Domino.

To argue in favor of purchasing "standard" size loose tenons, versus taking
the negligible time to make "custom sized", and without regard to time
tested methods of properly sizing the joinery ... and to use the rationale
that "time is money" for that argument, is simply an indication of a lack
of experience in the operation.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)