Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default JessEm Mortise mill

On 2/2/13 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

I think you guys may have too much time on your hands... ;~)

The combined operation of cutting mortises on the Multi-Router, and
making custom sized loose tenons, cuts shop time labor by at least
30% ...

Its the making the tenons part, not the mortise part, that would burn
time that pulling tenons out of a box wouldn't. Setting up machines to
rip, joint, thickness, round over, cut to length, etc., to relatively
tight consistent tolerances takes time... I suppose if you make 100s or
1,000s of them in what otherwise would be down time it would be OK, and
cost effective, but in the middle of a job it strikes me as a time
burning distraction.

The operative words "Multi-Router", "combined", and "custom sized loose
tenons" notwithstanding:

For 1 1/2 x 1/4 x 2" loose tenons:

I can set the fence and rip a 1x2x8 board into TWO boards of 1/4' thick
stock in less than five minutes on the table saw, with setup ... and
that's being pokey.

I can easily make 8 roundover passes with the resultant two pieces on
the router table in less than ten minutes, with setup.

I can easily cut 2" tenons from that stock on the table saw/sled at a
rate of 12 tenons/minute, or approximately five seconds each, with setup
of the stop block on the sled.

And, indeed, on this last four barstool project, my detailed record of
shop hours (which I strive to keep accurately to facilitate bidding on
future jobs), indicates that I spent 30 minutes cutting the 80 loose
tenons for four complete chairs.

That's 30 minutes for ALL the project tenons ... Now tell me how long
would it take you to cut 80 tenons in the ends of 40 chair components?

Cutting custom loose tenons a "burning distraction", not quite ...

... but what it is, is the difference between actual experience with an
operation, and just talking about it.

Wow, I guess my estimation was spot on. :-)

Now, figure out how long it would've taken to get on the computer, find
the best price, place the order and get back out to the shop to work.
Even if you could do it on the iPad in 15 minutes... now, you're waiting
for UPS.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)