Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodpecker Rules

"Bill" wrote:
It seems that those would be useful at top and bottom of the
vertical
"risers" (8 in all). Would you use them in additional places on
this project?
I have been intending to make liberal use of lag bolts to hold most
of the
pieces together. Advice is always welcome!

If I were to do this job, would bolt the whole damn thing together
including
casters.

BTW, 3" casters are a little small IMO. I'd use at least 4", probably
even 5".

Trying to move something heavy with ity bitty casters is a total PITA,
IMHO.

Can't think which I have greater distain for, lag bolts or
carriage (AKA: coach) bolts.

Both are about as useless as a set of breasts on a boar hog, IMHO.

Consider the following:

Assemble a triangle consisting of a couple of 2x4 about 6'-7' long
and another 2x4 about 3' long and a 3" strap hinge in each inside
corner with 1/4"-20 x 2" hex hd bolts, hex nuts and fender washers.

Casters bolt to bottom of 2x4 x 3' long piece.

Built 2 triangles for a left and a right side.

Use 2x4 x 4 ft cross pieces bolted with 1/2" bolts to complete
structure
and provide the strap to hang clamps on the front and back.

Space straps as needed to hang clamps.

Will also need some 1x3 furring strips to hold the spring clamps.

Stable, strong like bull, easily modified as needs change with time.

You want boxes, add as needed.

Lew