Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default JessEm Mortise mill

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message ...

On 2/1/2013 6:10 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Why buy the tenons? If you have a thickness planer and a table-mounted router with a
roundover bit, it's dirt-simple to make your own loose tenons from scrap wood.

You bet.

For all the tenons I use with my Multi-Router, I cut both thickness and
width on the table saw, and length using a sled, or miter saw if they
need to be mitered; then a roundover bit on the router table.

Cut'em just a RCH thicker than the mortise, then a quick touch on the
Delta drum and belt sander for a precise fit.

I think you guys may have too much time on your hands... ;~)

That said, I do things like that sometimes but most of the time I don't
have the time... if I spent time on that I'd never get the real project done!

?

The combined operation of cutting mortises on the Multi-Router, and making
custom sized loose tenons, cuts shop time labor by at least 30%, more If
compound angles are involved. Built way too many M&T tables and chairs,
both traditional and floating, to not have thoroughly experienced, and
documented, the benefit of those two alternate operations alone. And that's
not counting the resultant time savings due to an increase in ease of
fitting parts cut with a bit more inherent, and repeatable precision.

Although I don't own one, a Domino, while not as versatile, will save even
more time, easily making up for the cost of the tenons, either making or
buying.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)