Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default JessEm Mortise mill

On 2/1/13 2:47 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"-MIKE-" wrote

It's only to clean up the hole, after having drilled down all the way in
several places.
I've seen guys demonstrate it and they all had their own technique that
worked equally well.
I do wonder how it might be retrofitted with a trim router and good
router bit.

There are all kinds of router mortise jigs out there. The difference
with this product is that it is much cheaper. There are a whole
spectrum of mortise options available. From cheap to exorbitant and
everything between. You pays your money and takes your choices.

Cheapest one I've seen it at Rocker for $160 and seems like a lot more
setup time involved.
After further thought, I don't think there would be a speed issue with a
drill and the JessEm. Not everyone's cordless drill are very fast...
mine is. And Like Lew said, that bit is probably a special design to
accelerate side cutting. Every demonstration I've seen shows the using
moving pretty fast through the entire cut.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--