Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default (OT) Car coolant question

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 08:55:44 -0700, chaniarts
wrote:

i recently did my 96 vette fuel pump. pull the gas cap, a rubber shroud,
and the top of the tank is right there. 6 bolts, pull up on a steel rod,
and it's in your hand. 10 minutes tops. of course, it did strand me 150
miles from home, so that was a pain.

That's a handy design. I was busy with work so had my mechanic
replace the one on my '88 Celebrity. 2.8. It did strand me briefly.
Had to let the pump cool off. It ran fine about 15 miles to the mech.
He couldn't believe I got there because it was only putting out 2-3
psi. Tank had to be dropped. Think it cost me $4-5 bills.
My daughter's '93 Grand Am 3.3 would stall with the tank less than 1/4
full when the gas sloshed. I did that myself. About 3 hours work, no
lift, but the pump was about $250.
Just put a new tank in my '97 Lumina because it was holed with rust.
About 3 hours, no lift. Put the old pump back in with a new sock.
The pump is near $300 so I'm not about to replace it when it's working
fine.
Some vehicles, like your Vette, have access to the pump with just a
little work. Most you have to drop the tank. The tank in the Grand
Am and Lumina don't even sit under the trunk, as you might think
because of filler location. They're strapped up under the rear seat.