Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default (OT) Car coolant question

On 1/28/2013 8:38 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 02:13:45 -0600, wrote:

The older cars were more likely to limp a person home than these new
ones. Those fuel pumps seem to be a major flaw on the newer cars too.
When they die, it's all over. Start walking! The old mechanical fuel
pumps usually gave a warning and would still limp a person home most of
the time, not to mention they could be changed on the shoulder of a road
in a half hour or less. What they call "progress" these days is not
always true.

My experience is different. A mechanical pump stranded me by failing
without warning. I replaced 2 electric in-tank pumps after they gave
fair warning by hard starting or fuel starvation at speed.
I don't like in-tank pumps because they're expensive as hell and PITA
to change. A couple hours even if it goes smoothly versus 10 minutes
for a mech pump.
Just my experience.
If your'e on a farm, you should have a chain to pull that car where
you want. Hell, I kept one in my F-100 in Chicago, and pulled cars
with it.

i recently did my 96 vette fuel pump. pull the gas cap, a rubber shroud,
and the top of the tank is right there. 6 bolts, pull up on a steel rod,
and it's in your hand. 10 minutes tops. of course, it did strand me 150
miles from home, so that was a pain.