Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerry[_2_] Gerry[_2_] is offline

Default How to cost efficiently clean rust from steel plate

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:07:05 PM UTC-6, Ignoramus25707 wrote:
I have a bunch of street plate steel, that I want to magically

transform into welding tables.

They have rust on them, it is not horribly deep, but it needs to be

removed.

What is the most efficient way to do it using, say, a 9 inch angle

grinder. What abrasive things are best for it?

I wonder if you could do it electrically? Say with a large piece of cloth saturated with PH Up from a swimming pool supply and a power supply. Pos side of the power supply hooked to a piece of sheetmetal, laid on top of the saturated cloth, and the neg side hooked to the plate. I do this with smaller parts in a bath often and it removes rust quite well, but slow