Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_5_] Leon[_5_] is offline

Default Woodpecker Rules

Bill wrote:
On 1/25/2013 12:13 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

A triangle brace made from plywood, nailed or screwed
to the vertical component and tied into the base would definitely make
it more sturdy.

Thank you for your other comments and especially the one above. I
Could Not see how to attach the vertical component well.

Remember, all kinds of idiots and "home handymen" make wobbly crap. But
real men and craftsman make their project sturdy and functional.

A lot of good thoughts were posted along these lines! I will try to
post a new diagram soon to help confirm that I understood them.

Cheers,
Bill

I took another shot at my clamp stand diagram:

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

1) Surely my wooden triangles at the bases need to be at little beefier.

2) After all that, I still am not sure how to attach my castors which
have 2.5" wide bases. Surely they should be on the "outside".
All I can think of is to use 3/8" hex bolts, say, to attach a pair of
2by4's on the bottom like I had in my earlier picture,
attaching the castors to them with lag bolts. The the hex bolts would
need to miss the 1.5" wide lip on the base
as they come through floor (and thus would not be attached in an ideal
manner). A better way?

Bill

Attach the casters into the through the plywood bottom and into the 2x
frame. You really only need 2 screws/bolts to keep them in place, gravity
will do the rest. You only need for them to not relocate under there.

So what in the world are the small wedges at the bottom of each 2x4 leg
for?