Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels[_3_] Lee Michaels[_3_] is offline

Default Woodpecker Rules

"Bill" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
On 1/25/2013 12:13 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

A triangle brace made from plywood, nailed or screwed
to the vertical component and tied into the base would definitely make
it more sturdy.

Thank you for your other comments and especially the one above. I Could
Not see how to attach the vertical component well.

Remember, all kinds of idiots and "home handymen" make wobbly crap. But
real men and craftsman make their project sturdy and functional.

A lot of good thoughts were posted along these lines! I will try to post
a new diagram soon to help confirm that I understood them.

Cheers,
Bill

I took another shot at my clamp stand diagram:

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

1) Surely my wooden triangles at the bases need to be at little beefier.

2) After all that, I still am not sure how to attach my castors which have
2.5" wide bases. Surely they should be on the "outside".
All I can think of is to use 3/8" hex bolts, say, to attach a pair of
2by4's on the bottom like I had in my earlier picture,
attaching the castors to them with lag bolts. The the hex bolts would need
to miss the 1.5" wide lip on the base
as they come through floor (and thus would not be attached in an ideal
manner). A better way?

If I was going to use the drawing as a basic design, I would make the
following modifications.

1) Beef up the base/bottom. I would put, at least, a short length of 2 X 4
underneath the plywood on the short size. You could always do a lap joint
and put one the long way too. This would make the base heavier and
stronger. And it would give you a good place to securely mount some
castors. And I have mount caster like this to 2 X 4's many times. Some of
those are still going strong after 30 years.

2) Those "triangles" look like dainty little finger food. What are you? A
woodworker or a chef? To adequately support a vertical component, you need
to place it outside of the leg. But in this case I would just use a board
(or plywood) and just nail (or screw) it to the outside of the platform. If
you got a piece of 2 X 4 underneath there, Just fasten a taller piece of
wood and run it across the whole length of the side. This will tie the leg
securely to the base.

3) Remember, this thing isn't going to work very well unless it is solid.
Make that base heavy and strong. And if you are going to use triangles,
make them much bigger and fasten them to the OUTSIDE of the base and
vertical components. This isn't art or a buffet display. It is a tool that
has to support a fair amount of weight and mover around too. Build it
strong.