Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Mastroianni Joe Mastroianni is offline

Default What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 11:15:29 -0500, Tomsic wrote:

The lighting fixture standard is UL-1598.

I found that 293-page "Luminaires UL 1598" standard he
http://file.yizimg.com/173503/200610...2442236757.pdf

Looking for the wattage-rating test procedure, I scroll through
to page 138 where section 14 seems to cover temperature limits.
Section 14.1.3 Rated wattage of lamp used
Table 14.1.2 Maximum temperature limits

Reading that section over and over, I am not illuminated as to
what excess safety limits are in a 60 Watt rating. I can see it
has everything to do with temperature - since Clause 19.14.1.3
appears to be all about the temperature test box; but I can't
really tell what the safety factor is from reading this document.

Does someone with more acumen than I have insight into where
in that document it spells out the safety factor inherent in
the standard?