Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default What happens if you put 75 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture

On 1/25/2013 4:37 PM, Joe Mastroianni wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 13:51:27 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:

Nothing to worry about except the fire then...

I personally doubt it will cause a fire - but I must say that I'm not
sure (which is why I asked).

Might not cause a fire.

Might just cause insulation failure with contact from wire to metal
parts. You might only electrocute someone.

Or you might just have the fixture fail in a relatively short time.

Anyway - I'll stick to the rating being half the actual limit until/
unless someone shows proof otherwise.

Good idea.

And another great idea - the circuit rating is actually "half the actual
limit". You can replace the 15A breaker on the circuit with a 30A one.
Nothing will happen. (Where is the proof otherwise.)

And if fixture insulation fails and wires short you might not even have
the inconvenience of a breaker trip.

BTW, I don't disagree with the
statement that the thing will slowly deteriorate with higher heat - but
again, nobody showed proof so that's just an assumption also.

An electrician has "seen many overheated light fixtures". A couple other
people have seen damage from overlamping. I have seen damage.

But go ahead. You may win the Darwin Award.