Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
John Larkin[_3_] John Larkin[_3_] is offline

Default International shipping rates USA - China?

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 13:55:49 -0800, DaveC wrote:

I'm looking to purchase some replacement modules from Hong Kong for a plasma
TV. The warranty is good (90 days) but -- as you'd expect -- I'm responsible
for return shipping.*

Shipping from the U.S. to Hong Kong (well, USPS doesn't differentiate -- they
have flat rate to all overseas destinations) is US$38, more than half the
original price I'll be paying for the items.*

Shipping for the Chinese is, I presume, subsidized by their postal service,
which is why shipping charges are always included ("free!") in the price.

These modules are available domestically -- but at higher price and no
warranty. Hence the attraction to Chinese units available on e-Pain.

Is there a cheaper rate for getting a 2 pound envelope to China I've not
heard about?

Thanks,
Dave

The Chinese stuff that I get is usually shipped "via US Postal
Service" for a few dollars. It looks to me like the USPS is
subsidizing Chinese shippers and soaking us, by about a 10:1 ratio.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation