Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Default International shipping rates USA - China?

I'm looking to purchase some replacement modules from Hong Kong for a plasma
TV. The warranty is good (90 days) but -- as you'd expect -- I'm responsible
for return shipping.*

Shipping from the U.S. to Hong Kong (well, USPS doesn't differentiate -- they
have flat rate to all overseas destinations) is US$38, more than half the
original price I'll be paying for the items.*

Shipping for the Chinese is, I presume, subsidized by their postal service,
which is why shipping charges are always included ("free!") in the price.

These modules are available domestically -- but at higher price and no
warranty. Hence the attraction to Chinese units available on e-Pain.

Is there a cheaper rate for getting a 2 pound envelope to China I've not
heard about?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 13:55:49 -0800, DaveC wrote:

I'm looking to purchase some replacement modules from Hong Kong for a plasma
TV. The warranty is good (90 days) but -- as you'd expect -- I'm responsible
for return shipping.*

Shipping from the U.S. to Hong Kong (well, USPS doesn't differentiate -- they
have flat rate to all overseas destinations) is US$38, more than half the
original price I'll be paying for the items.*

Shipping for the Chinese is, I presume, subsidized by their postal service,
which is why shipping charges are always included ("free!") in the price.

These modules are available domestically -- but at higher price and no
warranty. Hence the attraction to Chinese units available on e-Pain.

Is there a cheaper rate for getting a 2 pound envelope to China I've not
heard about?

Thanks,
Dave

The Chinese stuff that I get is usually shipped "via US Postal
Service" for a few dollars. It looks to me like the USPS is
subsidizing Chinese shippers and soaking us, by about a 10:1 ratio.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

As one who sells internationally on eBay, I can safely say that USPS First
Class International is good up to 4 lbs. and is the least expensive shipping
method. The only downside is that it lacks delivery confirmation and
tracking once the package leaves the USA.

Is there a cheaper rate for getting a 2 pound envelope to China I've not
heard about?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 14:29:09 -0800, the renowned John Larkin
wrote:

[...]

I have a fairly light parcel posted from HK-- $46.10 in stamps on it,
which is about US $6.00. 10.5 x 6.5 x 2" maybe 1lb. They're still
making a lot of money on the wholesale rate per kg (it may be a bit
cheaper going N.Am-Asia since there is less demand).

Last time I had a bunch of parts to be delivered I dropped them off
myself in a north-Western suburb of Shenzhen. Took me a fair bit of
time (streets are not well marked etc.), but saved a bit of cash
compared to courier (there were other reasons to go, of course).

I would not recommend sending airmail parcels without tracking (if
USPS even offers such like).. I got one parcel back _months_ after it
was sent.. they either didn't get a notice that it was in customs or
didn't bother picking it up. The Chinese stamps on the parcel were
very clear, despite it being a bit beat up.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 14:29:09 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

[...]

I seem to recall from my stamp collecting days that postage for
international mail is collected only at the point of origin and is
handled thereafter without additional postage fees (altough customs
and handling fees may be necessary for parcels at the port of entry).
Once upon a time, international postage required the originator to
attach stamps for every country that the item would cross in transit.
Some time ago (mid 19th century?) this was deemed too clumsy and
therafter only the originating country collected the postage fee.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hams used to use 'International Reply Coupon' to trade QSL cards.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

So the Chinese set the rate that they pay to have the USPS deliver stuff? No
wonder they often include free shipping!

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 08:04:51 -0800, the renowned John Larkin
wrote:

So the Chinese set the rate that they pay to have the USPS deliver stuff? No
wonder they often include free shipping!

I think they have to pick it up and sort it domestically and transport
it to the CONUS for whatever they charge.

Hey, it looks like China Post actually has competition (as I said,
they're making good money at the rates they charge)

http://www.sendfromchina.com/shipping

The Aussies have been complaining that the US wants an extra $10 per
package or something so that agents can pretend to look for WMDs in
every box weighing more than a few hundred grams, so maybe it's not
entirely that pure an arrangement.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

John Larkin wrote:
So the Chinese set the rate that they pay to have the USPS deliver stuff? No
wonder they often include free shipping!

The International Postal Union sets the rates between members by treaty.

The local post offices are free to charge whatever they want to their
customers.

About 5 years ago, the USPS decided to make a cash cow out of foreign
shipping. They dropped surface mail, and did a survey of competitor's prices.
Then they set their rates to half of the average price of using a
competitor, e.g. FEDEX or DHL.

The figured it was low enough for anyone who really wanted to ship something
cheaply to use them, and not so high that they would go to a competitor.

There is very tough cometition in the bulk mail, both letters and packages
business, but none in the one time letter or package business. The courier
services don't want to pick up one package at a time, and charge accordingly.

Geoff.

Gung Hay Fat Choy! (May the new year be prosperous).