Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodpecker Rules

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:01:09 -0500, Bill
wrote:

On 1/25/2013 7:25 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
I'll send a picture of the real thing too. It is basically 2x4
and 1x4 material.
Leon, I received your file. Thank you very much for sending it!
It was interesting to see the way you
handled the "joinery" for the uprights and that you designated a
spot for each of your parallel clamps.
Thanks for sharing!

Bill
Your welcome Bill. Any time.

Here is what I came up with so far (it took longer than it looks,
lol). If the 2 frames have structural integrity, then it would seem
there will be little to worry about. There is a lot of room for
craftsmanship for knocking oneself out (with stretchers, shelves, etc.).
Do you think there is adequate wood in under the 3/4" plywood "floor
here? I will wrap four lengths of 2by4 around the base that you can
see in the picture.

Structurally Bill, you don't even need the 2x4's under the 3/4" plywood. If
you think about it, the 2x4 risers are carrying all of the weight. Wheels
mounted beneath those will transfer all of that weight to the floor, just as
if the 2x4's went all the way to the floor. The 3/4" isn't going to carry
any load between the 2x4's so it is not succeptable to sag or the likes.

I was hoping to use the 3/4" floor as a shelf, for stuff like drills
and what have you. Maybe in addition to the two2 2by4s shown, under the
floor, I could add 3 more going the other direction. The simplest
joinery would be to screw them to the floor from above, but I'm not
confident whether that will give satisfactory performance.

I used 7/16" OSB and tubatwos for the base and it carries my chisels,
gouges, clamp add-ons, etc. without trouble.

--
With every experience, you alone are painting your
own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice.