Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Woodpecker Rules

On 1/25/2013 9:58 AM, Bill wrote:

Thanks Mike, that's the way it's going to be then, just plywood. I'll
pick up a piece of plywood tonight. And I will band the base, and also a
shelf on the top and in the middle. Thank you for your help!

Adding a lip around the plywood platform is, in effect, "framing" the
platform floor, and will certainly help provide rigidity to the
structure ... a frame, in the form of a "lip", is now above, instead of
below, the platform floor.

Most important thing to take with you:

_Rigidity_ in the entire "frame" (both platform and uprights) is what
will serve you well in a mobile clamp rack when you go to moving it around.

_Fixed_ intermediate shelving will also help to increase that rigidity.

Mine is the exact same style, but made out of angle iron, and even then,
when fully loaded it flexes somewhat when a racking force is applied, as
when moving it ... which is the whole reason for making it mobile.
Keeping this within bounds, particularly with a wooden frame, is your goal.

Good luck, and do keep an eye out for French models.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net