Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodpecker Rules

Bill wrote:
On 1/25/2013 9:40 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

I was hoping to use the 3/4" floor as a shelf, for stuff like drills
and what have you. Maybe in addition to the two2 2by4s shown, under
the floor, I could add 3 more going the other direction. The
simplest joinery would be to screw them to the floor from above,
but I'm not confident whether that will give satisfactory
performance.

Yeah - I kinda figured you'd want to use that base as a shelf. That
3/4" plywood will be plenty strong enough all by itself though, to
carry any weight you're going to want to put on it, with no 2x4's
under it. You might want to put a band around it that is higher
than the shelf itself, to form a lip so that items can't roll or
slide off the shelf so easily. That band - even if it is only made
out of 1x2 will add strength, all by itself -

Thanks Mike, that's the way it's going to be then, just plywood. I'll
pick up a piece of plywood tonight. And I will band the base, and
also a shelf on the top and in the middle. Thank you for your help!

The only thing I would do differently from what you describe above is that I
would screw the plywood base to the 2x4's instead of the other way around.
In other words - screw up from the bottom. You can use longer screws that
way and they will hold in the 2x4 better than in the plywood.

I just want to be careful not to seem to be steering you. I believe a
project like this is the builder's choice. I was just trying to address
some concerns I saw in your posts relative to strength, and try to help out
in that area. It's one thing to build a certain way just because you want
to, and it's another thing to do so because you mistakenly believe you have
to.

--

-Mike-