Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Freeze proof faucets that freeze

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 22:05:26 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 13:11:09 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:02:29 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 08:09:08 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:43:13 AM UTC-5, wrote:
They're called "FREEZE PROOF" faucets. Yet, I've never found one that
dont freeze.

"Freeze proof" means that freezing won't destroy the faucet, not that it won't ever freeze up.

You put something wet in really cold temperatures, and it's going to freeze. That's physics.

But that's the point. The water is supposed to stay where it's not
really cold.

Maybe you havent' seen what he's referring to. They're about a foot
long and the valve on the outside looks like any other garden faucet,
but the stem is almost a foot long and the valve seat is 10 or 11
inches inside the house, in his case a heated basement probably.

It's supposed to be installed so the valve seat is higher than the

The OP said that was done.

spigot, too, so water will run out after it's shut off. If this isn't
done, they *will* freeze. They will also freeze if you leave a hose
connected.

He said he did that.

The key point here is that the water has to be allowed to
run out of the exposed part.

The difference is that a "freeze proof" faucet doesn't put a pipe full of water out in the cold where it will freeze, expand, burst, and flood your basement.

The valve on a "frost free" silcock is inside the house, rather than
outside. If it's allowed to freeze you can have a real mess. A
regular silcock will tend to break outside.

Exactly. The water is not supposed to freeze.

They are supposed to be installed correctly, too.

I didn't repeat everything that was already said.

I want to concentrate on the OP's problem, not on other people's who
didn't install it right, etc.

There is something very wrong with the OP's story. If indeed
everything was installed correctly and there was no hose left
connected, it's impossible for the frostless silcock to freeze. You
believe the OP's story. I do not.