Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] homeowner@home.com is offline

Default Freeze proof faucets that freeze

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 22:05:26 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 13:11:09 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:02:29 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 08:09:08 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:43:13 AM UTC-5, wrote:
They're called "FREEZE PROOF" faucets. Yet, I've never found one that
dont freeze.

"Freeze proof" means that freezing won't destroy the faucet, not that it won't ever freeze up.

You put something wet in really cold temperatures, and it's going to freeze. That's physics.

But that's the point. The water is supposed to stay where it's not
really cold.

Maybe you havent' seen what he's referring to. They're about a foot
long and the valve on the outside looks like any other garden faucet,
but the stem is almost a foot long and the valve seat is 10 or 11
inches inside the house, in his case a heated basement probably.

It's supposed to be installed so the valve seat is higher than the

The OP said that was done.

spigot, too, so water will run out after it's shut off. If this isn't
done, they *will* freeze. They will also freeze if you leave a hose
connected.

He said he did that.

The key point here is that the water has to be allowed to
run out of the exposed part.

The difference is that a "freeze proof" faucet doesn't put a pipe

full of water out in the cold where it will freeze, expand, burst, and
flood your basement.

The valve on a "frost free" silcock is inside the house, rather than
outside. If it's allowed to freeze you can have a real mess. A
regular silcock will tend to break outside.

Exactly. The water is not supposed to freeze.

They are supposed to be installed correctly, too.

I didn't repeat everything that was already said.

I want to concentrate on the OP's problem, not on other people's who
didn't install it right, etc.

Yes, everything is installed correctly and no hose is left on it after
use. Like others said, there is still some water in it that dont dry
and freezes. Just enough to freeze the shaft so it wont turn. In the
severe cold we are having, it probably freezes almost immediately. When
I take the hose outside to use it, I must use it immediately. If I just
leave it sit outside for more than about 7 minutes, it freezes up. And
thats a room temperature hose brought out of the house. I have to
unthaw the faucet first, or the hose freezes by the time I get the
spigot unthawed. Then I leave the spigot run a little so it dont
re-freeze while I drag the hose out of the house.
WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS THIS IS!!!!

I see this freezing of the spigot shaft cant be avoided. But some form
of insulated cover might help. I'm still thinking of some method that I
can use which can easily be removed when I use the faucet and easily
replaced after. I dont think those styrofoam things sold for this use
will hold up when snow and ice falls off the roof, in fact a neighbor
said he bought one, and it didn't last one winter. Snow fell off his
roof and smashed it.