Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Skim Coating

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Lew Hodgett wrote:

"dadiOH" wrote:

International paint used to make a really great one...thick bodied,
dried in an hour, sanded to dust. Last time I looked 10 or more
years ago it was $120+ a gallon.

Lew Hodgett wrote:

You talking about "ROJO"?

"dadiOH" wrote:

I don't think so. It had just a number (36x?) for a name. It had
been developed specifically to fill grain in Phillipine mahogany,
did that *VERY* well. It was one part, had a lot of xylene in it
(fast dry). I'd sure like to find something that does as well at a
realistic price.

It is very possible that it is no longer made.

ROJO was developed specifically to fill rusted metal spots after the
spot
had been sandblasted.

Biggest customer was the US Navy.

I used it as a final filler on my boat hull before priming and
painting.

What you are describing is in a totally different world.

The xylene content has probably killed it.

You wouldn't be able to get it here in CA.

The industrial division of I/P is in Houston (They handle ROJO).

Might want to check with them.

Lew