Brian S

Default Plunge router review and opinions needed

Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy a more powerful plunge router and I'm looking for opinions
or any pointers to recent good magazine reviews. I have a job coming up
that I will be making many many pieces out of 3/4 birch ply by using a
pattern and a template routing bit. I just don't think my small Ryobi is
up to the job. Now I know that this can easily turn into a flame war, like
Ford vs. Chevy or IBM vs. Mac, etc but I am still looking for opinions.
Of course I'd like a good deal but I'd rather save up and buy quality then
skimp on price and then have to go out and buy the good one later on anyway.

Here's the features I want:
Plunge router 1HP Do I need 3HP?
variable speed/soft starting
1/2 collet but able to take 1/4 shank bits with an adapter or different
collet (I have a bunch of 1/4 shank bits already).
I prefer the oblong bases with parallel edges vs. a true circular base.
Accurate and smooth plunge action.
A kit deal would be good. i.e with a case/edge guide included

So what brand? Makita, Dewalt, Bosch, Milwaukee, Others?
Would you buy it (say from Amazon) without holding one or getting the feel
of it?

Thanks
Brian