Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default Skim Coating

"Searcher7" wrote in message

On Dec 22 2012, 10:18 am, "Pat" wrote:
It depends on the filler I guess but most anything that adheres
decently
could be used. Even drywall mud. Yes, drywall mud. I can think of
nothing that sands any easier.

I have used mud on a couple of projects and it worked well.

Ok, I tried the mud first. But I don't think it works well. After
sanding following the first coat it seemed I was back where I started.
Am I sanding too much off?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I cannot find the beginning of this thread so I'm coming into the middle...
new computer, new mail reader...

Anyhow, I often use Plaster of Paris as a filler. It adheres well, fills
well, and disappears under oil based "clear" finishes. It dries fast and
hard also. It works very well on woods with open grain like red oak. I've
even used it on cherry that had a lot of "character" (e.g., knots, punk,
insect holes) as a means to fill but not necessarily hide defects before
putting on myriad coats of oil finish. By the time I was done with 20+ coats
of finish, sanding in between, the wood was consolidated and filled well and
the plaster was invisible.

I'd read that Plaster of Paris was used as a filler in furniture factories
in the past... I found this to be true when I restored an old oak kitchen
table. Keeping with that I refilled it with plaster as part of the
finishing process.

John