Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Skim Coating

Searcher7 wrote:
On Dec 22 2012, 10:18 am, "Pat" wrote:
It depends on the filler I guess but most anything that adheres
decently could be used. Even drywall mud. Yes, drywall mud. I can
think of nothing that sands any easier.

I have used mud on a couple of projects and it worked well.

Ok, I tried the mud first. But I don't think it works well. After
sanding following the first coat it seemed I was back where I started.
Am I sanding too much off?

First coat of what? Filler? Paint?

If filler, you don't make multiple coats...you smear on a coat of sufficient
thickness with a spatula or broad knife, let it dry and sand off excess
using nothing coarser than #150 sand paper, finer is better.

If paint; what kind? Oil? Water?

If oil, then you are sanding off too much and/or using too coarse a grit.

If water, then you are a masochist...water base acrylic paint doesn't sand,
it tears and balls up into a mess. OK, you *can* wet sand it with better
results but doing so is still masochistic. Even if you *could* sand water
base acrylic, doing so would tend to remove filler if you removed much paint
as the filler is water soluble and will have melded with the paint.

--

dadiOH